Below is the seminar outline that will be held at St George’s Burnie today (1-4pm) on Anglican Spirituality.
PRINCIPLES and PRACTICE from the BOOK OF COMMON PRAYER 1662
INTRODUCTION: ANGLICAN PASSION FOR GOD
- Anglican as the “Church of…” => Church in Society, with doors open. Hannah Moore.
- Forms as ‘husk’, Gospel as ‘kernel’- from where passionate spirituality grows.
- Using The Book of Common Prayer (BCP) to get to that passion,that kernel.
SESSION 1 – ANGLICAN PASSION IS BIBLE-SHAPED
- The passion of the Word of God
- BCP Morning and Evening Prayer
- Centrality and Efficacy of Word in Cranmerian liturgy
- Hymnody as a Ministry of the Word
- Which heroes illustrate this? Leon Morris, John Stott
SESSION 2 – ANGLICAN PASSION IS CHRIST-CENTRED
- Remembrance and Efficacy, Table of Grace
- BCP services
- The role of confession / penitence / commination
- Which heroes illustrate this? “Our Duty and Our Joy” Dean Kuan Kim Seng.
SESSION 3 – ANGLICAN PASSION IN THE CHURCH
- Public Worship
- Pastoral Services – interacting with reality
- BCP services – Baptism, Weddings, Funerals, the Churching of Women
- Hymns for your own funeral service:
SESSION 4 – ANGLICAN PASSION FOR THE WORLD
- Pneumatology and ecclesiology
- Confirmation, Deaconing, Priesting, Bishoping
- Sending out, missiology
- Heroes? Wilberforce, Bishop Montgomery, Archbishop David Penman, Roland Allen.
- The tools of Anglican spirituality equipping us to fulfil the Great Commission, to be the “Church of…”