Listening: there’s more to learn. Isn’t that the truth?!
I found the ‘Empathy Blockers’ challenging:
- Thinking we have all the answers
- Arguing logically e.g. someone shares that they feel lonely and your response is “There’s no need to feel lonely. God is with you, you are now a member of the church and they are your new family.”
- Judging is where we condemn a person based on our perceptions of how things should be. People who judge often generalise.
- Diagnosing is thinking that you know what is going on for a person without taking the time to listen to them
- Reassuring: ‘You’ll be all right.’ ‘It will be OK, you’ll see.’
- Topping can appear to be helpful. E.g. “I worked for a boss that was horrible as well so I know exactly what you are going through. My boss used to make hurtful comments because I was a Christian.”
You can also download this resource from our website here.